In case you don't follow the liturgical calendar, yesterday not only marked the celebration of the resurrection, but was the end of Lent. As typical during this 40-day season, I chose to fast from a specific food item. Mine happened to be ice cream.
I LOVE ice cream. Smooth, cool, delicious. I eat it year round. A half-cup portion--with which I am intimately familiar from my work as a dietitian--is simply ridiculous. I can plow through the whole carton in just a couple days. Of course, it doesn't help me in my quest to lose this baby weight. And it doesn't signify good things when your food is your comfort instead of your Bible. So, for 40 days I opted to say goodbye to one of my favorite sweets.
Honestly, it wasn't that hard. There were a few God-moments when I was really craving it and had to say to the Lord that He was worth more than the Brownie Fudge Explosion. Other than that, no big deal.
Until the other night when my husband brought home a large chocolate shake for me. It was a peace offering to end an argument we'd been having. And it sounded sooo good. I had to remind him that I couldn't accept. I was sure my refusal would aggravate him. It aggravated me, that's for certain. Nobody else would appreciate that cold, chocolate-y goodness nearly as much as I would have.
Needless to say, despite the difficulty of finding a place open on Easter evening, last night I enjoyed my no-longer forbidden chocolate shake.
Reflecting on the title for today's blog, I think in hindsight it would have meant more had I given up the screaming instead of the ice cream. I have had a terrible time lately with my escalating stress level, and the volume in our home has gone up right along with it. My poor kids--instead of chocolate I should have purchased ear plugs for their Easter baskets.
I missed ice cream, but I knew I could get along without it. How would I do if I ditched my dangerous decibel level instead? I think I would have to rely on the Lord a lot more. I'm actually not sure I could even accomplish it. Hmmm. Why is it that God doesn't care one fig about the liturgical calendar? He's in the business of sacrifice and holiness every day of the year.
"For thus saith the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel;
In returning and rest shall ye be saved;
in quietness and confidence shall be your strength:
and ye would not."
--Isaiah 30:15
No comments:
Post a Comment