al·pha (n.) 1. The first letter of the Greek alphabet.
2. The first one; the beginning.
**********************************************

15 January 2009

Gestation Hibernation

I have decided to enter a 'gestation hibernation'. My friend the science teacher may disagree, but "winter sleep" doesn't rhyme with gestation, so I am taking a little literary license. Generally, what I mean is that I eat (when not completely nauseous), curl up in a ball, and sleep for as long as possible. Preferably until this baby is born.

Which can't be today. Of the past two months, I have had only 3 "off-limits" days for the baby to arrive. The first was the above-mentioned friend's wedding day. The next two are today and tomorrow while my husband is away at a mandatory business meeting. The pressure to give birth has been replaced by incredible pressure in my pelvis. I can hardly walk. Luckily, not much of that is needed while hibernating.

Another essential element of hibernation is isolation. Not that I don't love my family and friends. I just have nothing new to tell them, and so avoid most conversations. My mom called the other day to check in. She asked if no news was good news and I replied that no news is simply NO NEWS. Against my better judgement, I did attempt to attend church this past Sunday. I made it through less than half the musical portion of the service, went to the ladies room to get sick, and promptly had my spouse drive me home and put me to bed.

My other mother is staying with me for the time that my husband is gone. This is a wonderful blessing since it allows me the ability to do more of that essential element of hibernation: sleep. It also gives me a ride to the hospital should this unborn child prove as obedient as all my others and come while Daddy is unavoidably AWOL.

I'm not sure how long my hibernation will last. I had an ultrasound of the baby this week which showed he was "only" a hair under 9#. Plus or minus a pound, of course. (I'm guessing plus). Since I've already had two 9-pounders, I doubt I'll get any more sympathy from the doc than I have at any other point during this process. Which means that I will probaby be pregnant until this little guy grows facial hair, or Feb 8th, whichever comes first. By then I truly will be like a bear coming out of hibernation: hairy, hungry, and horrible company.

No comments:

Followers