al·pha (n.) 1. The first letter of the Greek alphabet.
2. The first one; the beginning.
**********************************************

10 January 2009

When Bad Isn't Bad Enough

I've finished work. The last two days of the week were a bit difficult to get through, especially Thursday, which is my late night. Friday was a bit of an adventure because even as I wrapped up seeing clients and finalized paperwork, I was experiencing contractions.

On the way home, those contractions progressed to become quite regular. By the time I picked the kids up from the sitter's house, they were about 5 minutes apart. I was rejoicing as I came home and stayed busy in order to encourage the process. My OB said to come to the hospital after 2 hours of contractions 5 minutes or less apart. The contractions quit just 20 minutes shy of my goal.

Since then, they have repeated the whole scenario several times, always subsiding at some point prior to that prized pinnacle. I have relatives on standby. I have gas in the car. I have baby outfits packed. The only thing I don't have is a reason to go to the hospital!

I'm frustrated. Annoyed. Desperate. (I actually priced cod liver oil tonight--only the tablet form, though). I don't want to go anywhere (except the delivery room), since I'm sick of hearing people's comments. The other night in Walmart an obviously pregnant woman looked at me, and then said to her friend "I hope my stomach don't get that big like that. I don't wanna be that fat." I was actually so hurt that I could't think of a good comeback. She went on her merry way unaware of the effect of her insensitivity--although I may have silently wished her a nice 42 weeks of pregnancy.

To top it all off, my honey has to leave next week for a business trip that he can't get out of. Everything is arranged--my mom is coming to stay with us--but I really don't want to have the baby when he isn't here. And I REALLY don't want to have to wait until he gets back. I asked God tonight if herbals would be more effective than my prayers--which haven't produced labor thus far. I know He's in charge, but I want it to be NOW. I'm really struggling with the wait.

Its probably a good thing that the phone company has disconnected our line again (chronic problem with them). It means fewer calls "just checking in" which is code for "have you had that baby yet?" Let me clarify--when I have the baby, you'll know. I'll let everybody and their second cousins know. But it may be hazardous to your health to inquire early--especially ouch if I'm in the midst of another round of bothersome (but not quite bad enough) contractions.

"He has made all things beautiful in His time" --Eccl 3:11

No comments:

Followers