al·pha (n.) 1. The first letter of the Greek alphabet.
2. The first one; the beginning.
**********************************************

20 October 2009

Baptism Blessing

My son was baptized this past Sunday. In most churches, this is a major milestone, but in ours it goes beyond tradition. We practice "believer's baptism", which means that until someone personally acknowledges their sin and asks Jesus for salvation, they aren't candidates for baptism.

Since my son was an infant, I have been praying for his salvation decision to be made early on in his life. I myself didn't trust in God until my later teens. I think every parent wants something more for their kids than they themselves had, and for me knowing God was the number one thing that made a difference in my life. I want that for my kids...

Still, at not quite 5 years old, my HugBug surprised me with the matter-of-fact way he asked Jesus to be his Savior. What I love about it is that this is exactly how God asks us to come to Him: with a child-like faith. My son didn't demand some sort of scientific proof that God exists. He never doubted that our God is loving enough to want him for His own. He doesn't know the Scriptures yet, but he sees and understands that God is at work in our lives, and wants good things for us. He gets it, and it is an incredible blessing to witness.

And so, this week we went to the church for a movie-making session where he was able to tape a little interview about his new-found faith and his desire to be baptized. I adored hearing the whole congregation comment "aw" and "how cute!" as it played during the service. Then, barely able to see his head bobbing above the baptismal, I watched as they dunked my courageous kid.

I've been looking around my world and wondering what sort of "ministry" I will have now that my Jehovah's Witnesses aren't going to be stopping by. Like a thunderbolt, it hit my heart that I have been given a huge one--raising not only a responsible, polite, honest, and loving young man, but raising a Christian one. What did the mothers of Billy Graham, Martin Luther, Saint Patrick, and King David all do right? And how in the world will I ever measure up to the challenge?

Jesus said, "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life;
no one comes to the Father but by Me."
--John 14:6

No comments:

Followers