Over the course of time in meeting with them, I have been challenged to find sure Scriptural proof for my faith that Jesus is God, equal to and of the same essence as the Father. Some weeks I was more than frustrated, other times I felt like I had "won" my point. I struggled a lot with whether to be confrontational--which didn't feel very Christlike--or meek--which left me wondering if I made them feel like they were right. I got so I dreaded their weekly visits.
On the other hand, they kept me accountable to be in God's word. They challenged me to "be prepared to make an answer for the hope that lies within you." They have also seen the PBC grow from a swaddled infant to a smiling speedster as he rockets his way across the floor on all fours. They have been evidence of my witness extending beyond my own family. My older son has watched me "contend for the faith" as Jude instructs and I hope that this has had some bearing on his own young faith.
This past week only one of the regular gals came. We had agreed to discuss Psalm 8:22, specifically whether this verse indicates that Jesus was created--a main tenet in their belief system. She hadn't done her homework, but with the unexpected help of my pastor's message the morning before, I was armed with a ton of information to challenge her Arian view. So I started into discussion.
In under 20 minutes--less than half the time we usually spent--she suddenly announced "I see no point in this." She told me to give her a call when I was ready to change my mind (ie. my faith). I was completely surprised, to the point of shock. We've been meeting for over a year.
I have to say I am partly relieved, partly regretful. After all, they are still unsaved. And I am somewhat saddened to not even say a proper goodbye to the other woman. Beyond that, I wonder what sort of ministry I will have now. I am in a place in life where going out to witness to others isn't exactly feasible--considering I have 4 kids, three of whom are under 5! Face it, I'm challenged to accomplish the simple things in life, let alone execute some sort of evangelism! I want to be a testimony of Jesus' salvation, but find myself abruptly absent an opportunity.
Prayer, at least, is one weapon I can wield even while I am chasing kids and changing diapers. Perhaps you would join with me in this: pray for salvation for "Angie" and "Laura." And if you need some convincing yourself, give me a call. Monday mornings are suddenly free.
***
We believe in one God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.
And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds, God of God, Light of Light, Very God of Very God, begotten not made, being of one substance with the Father by whom all things were made; who for us men, and for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the Virgin Mary, and was made man, and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate. He suffered and was buried, and the third day he rose again according to the Scriptures, and ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the the right hand of the Father. And he shall come again with glory to judge both the quick and the dead, whose kingdom shall have no end.
And we believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and Giver of Life who proceedeth from the Father and the Son, who with the Father and Son together is worshipped and glorified, who spoke by the prophets. And we believe one holy catholic and apostolic Church. We acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins. And we look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come.
Amen
--The Nicene Creed; 381 AD--
No comments:
Post a Comment