al·pha (n.) 1. The first letter of the Greek alphabet.
2. The first one; the beginning.
**********************************************

20 August 2010

Day Five--Still Alive

We are surviving our week without the other older members of the family. We are surviving--but just barely.

With the teenager and husband gone, all the household chores have fallen squarely on my shoulders. My oldest is usually responsible for the dishes, and without her here I have had to handle that without help. I confess to cheating a bit by using paper plates, but have run the dishwasher twice when it got full. I find the fifteen minutes to load or empty is far from the full-hour she makes the task take. When she returns, I will be glad to hand back the dishes, but will insist that she knock off the drama!

I am still figuring out what the husband usually does around here. He is great in a crisis such as we had last week when the bathroom suddenly needed an overhaul, but as far as day-to-day details, I'm not sure that there are any set expectations. So far, I haven't been hearing a mental mantra of "He should be doing this!" I am undecided if this is a good thing or not. On the one hand, I haven't been as irritated with his absence. On the other, I wonder if I've been a little too lax on insisting he help!

Its the kids that are my main stress this week. I know parenting is a 24/7 deal, but that seems to be true only if you are the mommy. The constant demands on my time and attention are wearing thin. I miss being able to hand them off to the teenager for twenty minutes to take a shower. I long to leave for a few hours knowing it is daddy's turn to deal with the toddlers for a time.

I am sure that somewhere in the Guiness Book of Records there are some impressive survival statistics. Somebody who was trapped underground for a week, or lost at sea for six days or something equally astounding. I doubt, however, that surviving 5 days of single-parenthood takes its appropriate place in those hallowed halls of fame. I have no doubt, however, that if the editors of the Guiness Book borrowed my kids for most of a week, we would see a literary revolution of published records.

Most Amazing Mommy Awards:
Michigan mom stops screaming for 30 full seconds!
Champion single-mom changes record 482 diapers daily!
Mommy buried by bills, babies, and other burdens found still alive on day five!
In the midst of everything, I find I miss the presence of the ones I love more than their assistance with the daily challenges of life. I realize that I love them no matter what they do or do not do for me. I will be glad to hug the daughter who does my dishes. I want to hold the husband who has no chores. And the three smaller kids? I love them too. I just have to find a way to enjoy their presence as much as I miss that of the others.
"Every good and perfect gift is from above,
coming down from the Father of lights,
with Whom there is no variation or shifting shadow."
--James 1:17

No comments:

Followers