Well, despite not posting for two weeks (sorry, those of you who actually take time to read this!) a lot has been going on. I feel like I'm running every second of the day, with very little personal time lately. I kept meaning to get to the computer, but it just never happened.Anyhow, the latest development has been difficult for me to deal with. Strangers are starting to notice that I'm pregnant. I suppose this is only natural since I am (finally) through the first trimester, but it has still been a bit depressing. Last week at work, it happened for the first time in a very crowded elevator. Some little asian woman who must work somewhere in my building asked me simply "When are you due?" I hestitated a bit before answering. I'm embarrassed to say February--I feel like I shouldn't be showing yet. So then I added "Its amazing how soon you show by the third time around."
The next episode followed shortly on the heels of the first. It was this past Saturday, at my sister-in-law's 25th wedding anniversary. I had been asked to sing at the renewal-of-the-vows ceremony. The song was a bit shaky, I think, although everyone says I did fine. Still, it was one of the comments afterward that really stuck out. Instead of "You were off the beat on the first verse" or "I though you were a little pitchy"--reminders of American Idol, anyone?--I heard "Yes, I already guessed she is pregnant. She's showing a bit." The comment was directed to my mother-in-law, who, bless her heart, was trying to brag about her latest (and, dear Father in Heaven, last!) grandchild-to-be.
The most bothersome aspect of it all is that my doctor took me to task at my last appointment for losing weight. Why in the world my stomach can stretch, my clothes get too tight and yet my weight go down is beyond me. All the science and biology lessons in the world simply can't make this equation compute in my head. All I see is a little more of me in exactly all the places I long to have less of!
Still, I try to remember that the peanut butter cup is now about the size of a nice lemon. And you know what they say when life hands you a lemon... Perhaps if I add enough sugar, it will sweeten the sour taste left behind by comments on my size.
Average Size: 3-4 inches, 1.5 ounces. Development: Kicks, punches, and can suck thumb.
1 comment:
I can related to all of your blogs so far. (Except for the showing part)I will be 35 years old when the next and last baby arrives. There will be 13 years between the first and the last.People ask me how we plan to support another child when we are financially strapped. God provides, and has always provided. Children are a blessing, the best gift from God.
I am not sure I am ready for this weight gain, sick, diabetic, doctors office loaded months to come. I just pray that God gives me the strength to make it though.By the way, when someone can visibly see that I am pregnant, I will see that as a blessing. Another miracle working in my life.
Post a Comment