al·pha (n.) 1. The first letter of the Greek alphabet.
2. The first one; the beginning.
**********************************************

23 September 2008

Hooray for Halfway!

I know that close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, but in an endeavor where you spend ten months counting down week by week, anything that gets you closer to the end counts in my book! And as of this week, I am finally halfway there.

Twenty weeks. It really feels like a very long time. Longer than a semester in school. Longer than football season. Way longer, actually, than it takes to get to the moon (on average, a flight there only takes two days). The longest part of this past 20 weeks is that I have to repeat them all before I can be done baking baby.

Other than being halfway through, everything else is sort of anti-climatic. Finding out that the PBC is a boy has been really exciting, but makes everything else about the pregnancy a little more dull than it was before. And it was plenty dull, unless your idea of a good time includes intense vomiting, weight gain, and leg cramps. The only other excitement lately was a dream I had that the baby was born next week and we named him Joshua Bart. Needless to say, that is NOT going to happen. Ugh!

When was the last time you did something for 20 weeks? 20 days? 20 hours? I got to thinking that unless I was "stuck" in this situation, I'd likely bail long before I reached the halfway point. I'm starting to wonder if I have a "bail before it breaks me" attitude about other long-term commitments in my life. Things like writing down all my spending. Following a meal plan. Journaling. Prayer. One thing I suppose I can learn from pregnancy is persistence--it is one of the few times in life that I can't escape earlier from the obligation (and, in truth, wouldn't want to since it would risk the baby).


"and you have perseverance and have endured
for My name's sake, and have not grown weary" --Rev 2:3

(OK, so the part about not growing weary is a stretch, but then...most of me is stretched these days!)

Here's to halfway...and to perseverance til the peanut butter cup makes his appearance!




No comments:

Followers