Thinking back on it, I wonder what she did with her kids. She was mom to 4 busy young ones all while trying to "mother"--on average--20 new college girls a year. She held special Bible studies, wrote cards, made phone calls. She cared. She actually gave me a compliment that I have treasured as one of the greatest in my life--she said I was "deep."
Today, at her funeral, her husband and 4 children spoke about their memories of her. I can only pray that when I'm done with them, my kids will speak about me as favorably as hers did. Not only that, but during a time of testimony from the others gathered, time and again people spoke about how she accepted them as part of the family, brought them into her home, fed them and encouraged them. Personally, I can barely find the time to do wash for 6 people, let alone do things like drive all over the city picking up short-of-breath students who need rescuing.
The main theme that was emphasized throughout the service was that she lived a life with "No Regrets"--apparently a phrase that was common for her to say in her last few weeks and months. I wonder, can I live without regrets? I make so many mistakes--I yell at the kids, I don't spend enough time with God, I get disgusted with bills and meals and dishes and blame my spouse.
I think perhaps what this woman of God saw that enabled her to say with confidence that she had "No Regrets" is that Jesus has paid for each and every sin--wiped away all those mistakes that she, like me, must've made. At the end of the day--at the end of our lives--we can have her same confidence. Not in ourselves, but in a Savior who will not let us wallow in our wasted opportunities. In Jesus, who will not spare us suffering, but will redeem it without regret.
I came away from the service feeling the need to say only two things. First, Thank-you, Sally. And second, Dear Lord--let me live a life that honors You like hers.
"The Lord God will help me,
therefore shall I not be confounded:
therefore have I set my face like a flint,
and I know that I shall not be ashamed."
--Isaiah 50:7
No comments:
Post a Comment