This weekend's adventure was 500 Mile, 3 day trip up north to attend the Big Ticket Festival in Gaylord, Michigan. This annual open-air concert is one of the largest gatherings of Christian music artists in the state. Since I have recently banned all but Christian music in our home, I thought it would be a good opportunity to expose my teenager to the reality that God's music isn't always "lame."
The drive began much later than planned on Friday night, but finally I had my daughter, her friend, and our stuff all loaded. I found the keys, kissed the other family goodbye, and began the 4 hour trek shortly after 8pm. When we arrived at our destination, still alive despite backroads swimming with deer, I simply gave them instructions to not make too much noise and promptly fell into my borrowed bed.
The next day began somewhat stressfully--my first attempt at gluten-free pancakes in honor of meeting my best friends's new beau. The meeting did go well, although the pancakes were a bit of a flop (a flip, my daughter says). Then it was off to spend the day in the open field of the Gaylord County Fairgrounds.
We arrived at the concert during what appeared to be a long afternoon break. We were troopers, though, and spread out our blankets in the baking sun and settled in to wait for the stage to be reconfigured for the big name bands soon to follow. Soon, however, turned out to be a relative word. In the process of waiting, we talked, napped, and I got heat stroke. Never travel sans sunscreen...
Leaving 2 teenagers in the hands of my most trusted friend, and giving full credit to the new boyfriend who didn't balk at the assignment, I walked back to the van and promptly slept off both morning sickness and sun poisoning. Two hours later, much recovered although still undeniably feeling this pregnancy, I returned to the patch of grass we had claimed as our own and discovered to my delight that the girls were having fun, had actually heard some music, and felt my investment in both tickets and gas was justified. The rest of the evening passed pleasantly, and I may even purchase the TobyMac (http://www.tobymac.com/) cd my daughter is now asking for...
The drive home the next afternoon left me exhausted, and relieved to be back home. There is nothing better for a morning-sick mommy than to dwell never too far from her own bed and bathroom. I believe the rest of my summer plans will be a lot less ambitious...
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."[ John 14:6 ]
Jesus is the Big Ticket
Jesus is the Big Ticket
No comments:
Post a Comment