al·pha (n.) 1. The first letter of the Greek alphabet.
2. The first one; the beginning.
**********************************************

29 June 2008

Rumors

I took two teenage girls to the store recently. As we waited in the check-out line, they were discussing the latest headlines on the gossip magazines. Although I have to admit to sudden curiosity about Angelina Jolie's twin pregnancy, I had to remind both the girls and myself that being part of the rumor mill is never a good thing.

Then, this morning, as I walked into church, "I think I heard a rumor about you" was the statement that greeted me. How refreshing for someone to come straight to your face to find out whether whatever juicy tidbit they recently heard was actually true! In my case, however, I did have to confirm the rumor about my pregnancy--twice, actually--and then explain that we really don't know if it is twins. Darn the doc's office. I really wish I'd already had that ultrasound...

There must be some truth to the old maxim that "good news travels fast." I just wish so much of our media would honor that concept, since it seems so intent on sharing the awful as well as the awesome. I, for one, am relieved that although I may be cornered at church for an "Is is really true?" and a "Congratulations!", I am not likely to overhear someone chatting about me using phrases like "her marriage is on the rocks" or "she is just a terrible mother."

My prayers go out to Ms. Jolie and Ms. Spears, and a few others I can remember hearing "dirt" on lately. My thanks to those who know me for making only the good news travel.

"Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, that it may give grace to those who hear."
--Ephesians 4:29

No comments:

Followers