al·pha (n.) 1. The first letter of the Greek alphabet.
2. The first one; the beginning.
**********************************************

19 June 2008

Never Alone

Today a client of mine came in to discuss her recent progress on her diet. We've been working together for months now to help her lose some weight and get her health in shape. She's been doing quite well, actually.

This afternoon went a little different. She hasn't been working out--always tired, she says. She hasn't been eating right--"I feel nauseous" is her complaint. She's headed to her OB when she leaves here. She's positive she isn't pregnant...she's hoping she isn't pregnant. "Am I pregnant?" she asks me desperately.

I can't help it. I laugh. Suddenly, I don't feel nearly so alone. Suddenly, we are the in sisterhood of unexpected motherhood together.

Not that I am alone. No, indeed, another little person is sharing this body with me. Actually, I have been sharing my body for about half of the past 4 yearsm thaks to the little ones that already decorate my home. Maybe alone wouldn't be so bad after all......

But physical space aside, it was such a relief to connect with another soul, another mother with 3 busy kids at home who isn't sure there is room for #4. Another person who shares with deep understanding the shock, the awe, the disappointment, and the excitement of accepting the incredible and living a plan much bigger than our own. Today, her dreams of losing weight pale in comparison with the reality of gaining a new life. And she embraces that about as well as I did--with reluctant readiness.

It is an awfully good thing that God promises us He won't leave us alone, either. Whether the quiet whispers of His word to our heart, or a chance encouter with another of His children on whom He has bestowed the same--well, blessing--or the insane priviledge of practically sharing a heartbeat with your new child, today's lesson for me is summed up in six simple words:

"...Surely I am with you always..."--Matt 28:20




No comments:

Followers