My 3 year old son has many friends, any one of which, depending on the day, could be his "best" friend. Occasionally this role is owned by Chip--as in Potato Chip, the stuffed monkey he sleeps with. Sometimes it belongs to Sport--an imaginary friend that stops in every so often to play. Lately it seems the honor belongs more often to real live human companions like Alex, Casey, or Autumn. I've even heard the dog win the title once in a while.We adults tend to avoid the use of the superlative word altoghter. We have coworkers, "close" friends, "old" friends, and a hundred other designations. But we don't feel it is fair to have just one "best" friend. After all, who would we choose?
Would the friend I've known the longest, who was right there with me through all those silly school crushes, first jobs, first cars, and first dates be the one? What about the friend who could tell you most anything about me after sharing an apartment for half a dozen years? Or maybe the one who became a spiritual mentor? One of the ones who have become like family to me? Or could it be the friend I married? And what about God? Where does He fit in to the best friend line-up?
I cannot claim to have the corner on solutions to this dilemna. All I can say is that, for today, neither the monkey nor the mentor win. Today the award goes to a precious, pregnant soul who measured her very maternal belly on my behalf. (No offense to my other friends--all of you are the "best" in your own special way.) Finally I can order my bridesmaid dress with confidence that my bump won't burst it. Many thanks to GW--you have more style than any magazine could muster.
Two are better than one for they have a good reward for their labor;
for if one falls his friend will lift him up...Eccl 4:9-10a
2 comments:
thank God we don't have to have only one best friend and thank you to the unknown GW for her confidence in self to give that to others
LOL if my hubby read the previous comment he would ROFL. I don't have much self confidence, least of all when I am nearing the end of a pregnancy and feel like a walrus (just not as cute). Thanks for the honorable mention. I am glad my big belly was able to benefit someone besides our future son. Glad to be of service!!!! And awwwww for the mention of Autumn as well. She considers Landon a best friend as well. They are cute together most days when they don't get on each other's nerves!
Post a Comment