So, my mom calls me up today. I love her, y'know that? Anyway, first thing she says after "Hello" is "How are you doing today?"Now, as a preggo mommy in the very late stages of the first trimester (early second?), I'm always a little hesistant to go with my instinctive answer. Like when people you never really talk to pass you at work and ask how you are. They certainly don't expect the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, in response.
My mom, however, got the full treatment. "I'm feeling pretty lousy, and have all day. I can't seem to get off the couch, and my already-born offspring are tearing the house apart while the not-yet-birthed child(ren) makes me feel like tossing my cookies. How are you???" As it was, I thought I was pretty mild about it. I could've gone on...(and on)...
I think there should be a new etiquette for dealing with the "How are you?" conversational bomb during pregnancy. We could go with code, so as not to offend the more normal (read: less hormonal) sensibilities of society. Instead of the Internal Revenue System, we could have Internally Regurgitating Stuff. Or perhaps Profit aNd Loss reports could be transformed into, Puking Nightly Lots statements. Or maybe we pregnant women should just stick with what people expect to hear anyway, because, face it, we really are Forgetful Irritable Nauseous and Exhausted.
No comments:
Post a Comment