al·pha (n.) 1. The first letter of the Greek alphabet.
2. The first one; the beginning.
**********************************************

10 November 2008

EMS, Rx, and EDD

I am breathing several sighs of relief today.

First, my youngest daughter is fine. Yesterday we had quite a scare with her. Apparently, she decided to shove her mouth full of the brownie and ice cream snack we were indulging in. Unfortunately, it resulted in her choking. At first it was kind of a sucking/gasping sound. My husband and I rushed upstairs and he started thwacking her back. That didn't work, however and she stopped breathing all together and turned blue. I got on the phone with 911 while daddy swept her airway. Eventually, he got her to puke up whatever it was that was blocking her throat and she started hollering. It was the equivalent to hearing a newborn cry, and was one of the few times in my life I have been relieved and thankful to hear her screaming. The fire-rescue guys came out even though I told them everything was fine. She got her lungs listened to, and was given a clean bill of health. I, however, didn't recover as quickly and have found myself being a bit overprotective today.

Second, the rash, as it turns out, is nothing except bothersome. The doc gave me some cream that should clear it up. Thank goodness, too, because although it didn't at first, it now itches like mad.

Lastly, I am not crazy. Fat, but not crazy. I have been thinking for some time that this kid doesn't feel like a 24-26 week baby. He feels bigger, stronger. He was kicking the snot out of me so badly on Sunday that a lady several pews over asked me if I was OK after the service. Today, when the doctor said I was measuring "fine," I questioned her on it. It isn't just the incredibly insensitive comments from friends and strangers about my size. It is a sense that thinking about having this baby earlier is more than simple wishful thinking. And, indeed, I am measuring several weeks ahead of schedule.

So, the plan is to get another ultrasound in a couple of weeks. That should be fun. It is always cool to get a sneak peak at the PBC. I have to confess, I'm hoping to get back the 3 weeks they stole from me in those initial ultrasounds early on when they kept pushing back my due date. Being able to say "mid-January" instead of "February" when people ask when I'm due would spare me a little embarrassment. It might also spare me several weeks of pregnancy!

On that happy note, I'm off to bed. I've been feeling guilty about my tiredness and lack of motivation lately, especially being in the second trimester when I'm supposed to be feeling relatively good. Since I may actually be in the third trimester instead, I think I'll cut myself a little slack and hit the sack. 'Night!

No comments:

Followers