I've been reminded of some of the unpleasantries of pregnancy in my attempts to treat this thing. The first is that--at not quite 7 months yet--my stomach is HUGE. It took me two days to even identify what the problem was when my underbelly starting aching. The main problem is that I can't see the underside of my stomach. I have to manuever just so in front of the mirror, an object I generally avoid from the second trimester onward.
The second is the official fact that I'm fat. The weight of my stomach presses it down on itself so that this rash is hidden between the round of the belly and the flat below it. I realize that is too much information, but the truth is that I have skin-on-skin rubbing going on in addition to whatever little gem of an infection caused the problem in the first place. I went today to the maternity store and bought one of those belly bands that are designed to support your stomach. Unfortunately, it works great while standing or lying, but isn't at all comfortable when I sit. And I've suddenly discovered that I spend more time seated than in all other positions combined.
The third regretful reality that has reared its ugly head is that pregnancy clothing is designed to completely smother your stomach. Now, when it sticks out as far as mine does (and is only destined to get worse), this is mostly a good thing. The panels that cover the tummy take a minor measure off my growing girth. They also offer a slight sense of support. Unfortunately, it also completely covers this rash and the result is even further irritation. I am fighting the temptation to forget about every obligation (laundry, shopping, church) and simply lie in bed until I heal. No telling how long that will take, however. Not to mention that life with 3 kids isn't conducive to the bedrest and bonbon scenario.
All this has added up to mean that I will be seeing my OB on Monday. It is highly inconvenient, since the person who normally watches the little ones while I go to the doc has to be on a plane for a conference that morning. And despite the improvement in gas prices, it'll still put a strain on the budget this week to throw in an extra 40-mile round trip drive. Pain, however, is a great motivating factor. It is at the root of every problem in pregnancy, thanks to Eve. Sometimes I wish she hadn't made such a "rash" decision.
"...In pain you shall bring forth children..." Genesis 3:16
No comments:
Post a Comment