al·pha (n.) 1. The first letter of the Greek alphabet.
2. The first one; the beginning.
**********************************************

25 July 2008

TGIF

Yes indeed, I am Totally Glad It's Friday...thank the Lord!!!! This has been an exhausting week, especially at work. I usually work 2 days a week, but this was one of those weeks I had to be here on Friday as well. It was a lonely day, since all my coworkers were gone on vacation and it was just me, myself, and the secretary. Matter of fact, it seems everyone in the world is on vacation this month, except the strange ones--who all had appointments with me!

I usually teach about eating for diabetes. I'm an expert at this (so saith the credentialing agency for diabetes educators), so it is relatively routine for me. My clients this week, however, have been anything but routine. I've had to talk about oxalates, purines (does anyone in the real world even know what these are???), and food interactions for heart medications. I've discussed in-depth blood pressure diets, low protein for kidneys, and high protein for malnutrition. I've had babies to 70 year olds, and almost everyone showed up--although not always on time. Due to staff vacations, I wound up doing the nurse's half of diabetic training for several pregnant women. And, in the midst of this, I've had to create from scratch several informational handouts, and actually started a folder at work titled "wacky diets you made need."

What I really need right now is a little less work, and maybe a little more wackiness. Some kind of simple relaxation to defuse, destress, and re-define a new perspective for my weekend. In a brief search for some silly way to accomplish this distraction, I came across the oddest ideas and suggestions. Here's a few you might like to try.

1. Have a pillow fight
2. Change your answering machine message to something strange or silly
3. Watch Lucille Ball in The Long, Long Trailer
4. Play spoons
5. Take up cyber karate
6. Research the geographical distribution of Exit sign colorations
7. Let your dog walk you
9. Create tree art (this one takes more than a weekend--actually it will take about a decade of weekends!) *see photo above*
10. Create new and interesting road signs. An example: Wizards' parking only. Violators will be toad.
Or, if you have some other suggestions, send your comments along and I'll see what works. In the meantime, TGIF!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could definetly try one of the 19 things mentioned in the forward of keeping your sanity you sent me. The hair dryer ones sounds fun. But if none of those work, we could play a game of spoons at small group on Monday.

1. At Lunch Time, Sit In Your Parked Car With Sunglasses on and point a Hair Dryer At Passing Cars. See If They Slow Down.

2. Page Yourself Over The Intercom. Don't Disguise Your Voice!

3. Every Time Someone Asks You To Do Something, ask if they want Fries with that.

5. Put Decaf In The Coffee Maker For 3 Weeks. Once Everyone has gotten over their Caffeine Addictions, switch to Espresso.

6. In the Memo Field Of All Your Checks, Write "For Marijuana".

7. Finish All Your sentences with "In Accordance With The Prophecy".

9. Skip down the hall Rather Than Walk and see how many looks you get.

10. Order a Diet Water whenever you go out to eat, with a serious face.

11. Specify That Your Drive-through Order Is "To Go".

12. Sing Along At The Opera.

14. Put mosquito netting around your work area and play tropical sounds all day.

15. Five days in advance, tell your friends you can't attend their party because you have a headache.

17. When the money comes out the ATM, scream "I Won! I Won!"

18. When leaving the Zoo, start running towards the parking lot, yelling "Run For Your Lives! They're Loose!"

19. Tell your children over dinner, "Due To The Economy, We Are Going To Have To Let One Of You Go."

Just Another Person said...

Well I have no clue what to tell you. I am wacky all the time. Maybe you could spend a day as a teenager. With my friends everything is wacky.

Anonymous said...

Thats it I'm teaching you how to crochet next time I'm home lol. Its fun relaxing and gets out the need to create I know you have in you! I feel like referencing Genesis here but can't think to formulate a good way to express it! lol

Followers